At the April 29 meeting of TEL I was asked to look into whether we should recommend to all colleagues to include in the end of module reports extracts from the Moodle reports
This blog has turned out to be longer than I expected so if you do not have time to read it, my current conclusion is that without any other form of planning the only report that we could ask all colleagues to include in the ‘end of module reports’ is the graphic showing the overall views and posts of the students. (provided we can find an efficient way of exporting the graphics)
In Moodle one can find Report in the Administration Box. There are a number of reports that can be acquired from moodle see list below
I have looked at them and they can be very useful for identifying information on the access and participation by students (and/or staff) for specific files or tools or to review the activity of a specific student or member of staff.
However my goal in this case was to identify aspects of the Report that could be used for a general evaluation of the module.. The most appropriate seems to be ‘Statistics’ I have set the system to report on the last 4 months (starting a 2 weeks before the start of the semester) of my module BS1002 and I got the following graphics
Apologies for the poor graphics, but it actually stress the problem that I could not find the way to export the graphics so I took a screen shot . The graphic in itself is quite interesting . One gets an idea of the general level of particpation. Of course the numbers on the Y axis should be divided by the total student numbers on the module in order to do a comparison with other modules. It also gives an idea of the speed at which the students engage with the module and how sustained the engagement is. In this module (mine) there seems to be a bit of lag (but note that diagram starts 2 weeks before start of term) before maximum engagement was achieved. The dip in engagement towards the end corresponds with Easter break. The figure legend says that the activity of the students, instructors etc are analysed separately, but because the student use is so much greated (there are 230 students on this module) the information of the instructor is lost on that scale. The figure below shows the activity of the instructor (me)
Going back to the original objective of this post: finding reports that could be recommended to be included into all end of module reports , I think this graphic is the only one I can definitely recommend (if we find a good way of exporting it)
Additionally we it could be suggested that each year a certain theme is selected for the report. e.g. on year one could report on the number log in for a particular activity e.g something as simple as module hand book to see if it makes sense to upload the module handbook as opposed to separate information files or pages. These activity reports can be see under Reports>Activity report. It produces a long list with a number against each item of the module . However one must be careful on how to interpret the data For example :the figure below shows a section of the activity report for the same module (BS1002). In comparison access to the page that links to all the lecture notes is 5997, which is predictable. However for another file which contained the timetable of the individual presentations that the students had to do (this was the only place this information was available so one would expect each of the 230 student accessing it at least once) showed only 17 entries. I believe this is because I enbedded the link to this file in an email I sent (via moodle) and so moodle must not have recorded it because the students did not have to click on it directly